Cauliflower and Potatoes: "Aloo Gobi"
During my mom's last visit to Boston my sister and I learned how to make a few basic vegetarian dishes and aloo gobi was the first recipe we started with. I ended up making this for dinner Sunday and served it with whole wheat naan and yogurt. And yesterday for lunch I put the leftovers in a sandwich with a little butter and shredded cheese and it was delicious.
mustard and cumin seeds
Cauliflower and Potatoes: " Aloo Gobi"
2 tbsp canola oil
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 small head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
1/2 tsp red chili powder
2 tbsp freshly minced cilantro leaves to garnish
1/4 - 1/2 cup of water
1. Heat oil on medium heat in pan
2. Add mustard and cumin seeds and once they start to pop add the potatoes and cauliflower
3. Add salt, garlic, tumeric, red chili, coriander and cumin powder and stir gently
4. Cover and continue to cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are completely cooked. Stir every few minutes and add 1/4-1/2 cup water if the potato/cauliflower mix is too dry.
5. Stir in cilantro, turn off heat, and serve. 4 servings