Green Onion and Coconut Chickpea Curry
Whenever we travel to Vancouver one of our first stops is Vij's restaurant. And ever since we got Vij's cookbook, Aneesh and I have enjoyed experimenting with recipes on our "cooking date nights." These date nights typically consist of trying a new recipe from Vij's, listening to the best of the 80's on Pandora, and opening up a really nice bottle of a Pax syrah. This past Sunday Aneesh made green onion and coconut chickpea curry, by far one of the easiest recipes in the book. Ariyana enjoyed this so much she requested to take leftovers to preschool the next day.
Green Onion And Coconut Chickpea Curry
½ cup canola oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1½ tsp salt
5 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
4 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno peppers
3 cans (14-15 oz) chickpeas, drained
1 cup coconut milk
7 green onions, green parts only, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan for 1 minute.
2. Add cumin seeds and let sizzle about 30 seconds.
3. Add onion and sauté 8 to 10 minutes until browned.
4. Stir in tomatoes, salt, ginger and jalapeno peppers and stir well.
5. Sauté 5 to 8 minutes or until oil glistens on top.
6. Add chickpeas and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
7. Add green onions and cook 1 minute longer.
Serve with naan and a salad for a quick and easy weeknight meal.