Style Tip: How To Add Vintage To Your Work Wear
I am not a huge vintage shopper but after Rachael shared these fabulous tips I feel more comfortable and have purchased a few fun vintage pieces. Here are a few style tips to keep in mind when incorporating vintage pieces into your work attire. The secret to wearing vintage clothing is to avoid wearing the pieces the way they were originally worn and instead tweak the style so the final look is modern and chic.
Style Tips: Adding vintage to your work wear
1. Don't wear vintage head to toe. You don't want to look like you are dressing from another era or for Halloween.
2. Dress around one dramatic piece. Take one vintage find and style the rest of your outfit around this one piece. I like to keep my outfit simple with all black so that the focus is on the ivory vintage jacket.
3. Update and give your vintage pieces a make-over. You can replace buttons and take out shoulder pads to make your vintage pieces look fresh and new.
4. Tone down your vintage finds at the office by adding dark tights, smart heels, and a conservative handbag.
5. Don't wear anything too dated. For work skip those disco inspired dresses from the 70's and avoid polyester.
6. Make your vintage finds look modern and up to date by adding on trend accessories and keeping hair and make up current.
7. Use a tailor to update pieces. This jacket was 5 sizes too big but I was fortunate enough to have it altered for free at the store I bought it from. Now the jacket is more fitted and looks up to date.
Photos by Bonnie Sen