Vietnamese Garden Rolls
Photo Credit- Bonnie Sen Photography
Many of you have asked me to post more recipes here at STYLE'N so I am so excited to announce that we have Amanda Franklin on board as our new food contributor. Amanda is not only one of my closest friends but she is a beautiful and talented model, and she has this amazing ability to whip up quick, healthy and delicous meals. Amanda and I will be sharing our favorite dishes with a focus on Vietnamese, Indian, and fusion recipes. There will also be some fun cocktails in the mix too!
Here's a little bit about Amanda
Who: Bachelors in International Business, Minor in Spanish from the College of Charleston. Varsity Soccer player, CGBP Certified (Certified Global Business Professional), ACE Certified Personal Trainer at Equinox, Bethesda, MD
Agencies: T.H.E. Artist Agency, Washington, D.C. + Reinhard Talent Agency, Philadelphia, PA
Clients: Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Ave, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Macy's, Anthom, QVC, Yoga-clothing.com, AT&T Magazine, David's Bridal, BrandLinkDC, etc.
Mantra: I hate the word 'foodie.' Anyone can be a foodie. Food is a constant. If the air we breathe is contaminated we cough, wheeze and sneeze. If our food is contaminated, our bodies will react even more harshly in the long run. I love learning about food-how flavors marry, how it acts within our bodies, how individuals react to certain foods, food culture, food policy...the list goes on. My ultimate mantras: Don't put shit in the shrine. Food is healthcare; medicine is sick-care.
VIETNAMESE GARDEN ROLLS
1/2 tbsp. coconut/veggie oil
1/2 lb small shrimp, (43-50 count) shells and heads removed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small head of red leaf lettuce
1/2 cucumber, julienned
1 large carrot, julienned
1 bunch mint
1 bunch cilantro
red chili peppers, julienned (optional)
1/2 package (about 4 oz) vermicelli rice noodles
1 package rice paper
Peanut Hoisin Sauce Ingredients
1/3 c. water
4 tbsp. peanut butter
4 tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. honey
1/2 lime juice
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté shrimp until cooked through. Slice in half length wise.
2. Wash, dry and prep veggies.
3. Boil vermicelli noodles for 5 mins. Drain and rinse with cold water.
5. Mix together sauce ingredients.
4. To roll: Have a shallow dish filled with hot water. Submerge a rice paper sheet in the dish and shake off the excess water. Place 3 shrimp slices on the bottom 1/4 of the rice paper followed by a few carrot and cucumber slices (and chilies if you so desire), a few mint and cilantro leaves, a small piece of lettuce and roughly 1 1/2 tbsp. or rice noodles. Roll tightly forward, folding in the sides half way through. Place a chive in the roll exposing an inch off the edge and finish rolling.