Last Minute Tips: What To Wear To A Holiday Party
Holiday season is here and it can all be a little stressful and overwhelming when it comes to deciding what to wear to all these parties but with just a little bit of planning the entire process can be fun and enjoyable.
My friend and photographer Tazmin Smith came over last week for tea and she was telling me how she had two back to back holiday parties and she was trying to figure out what to wear. Tamzin ended up ordering a colorful dress from Rent The Runway and bought a new pair of black pumps and both ended up working out great. I mentioned to her that if the dress didn't work out it's always good to have a few key pieces in your wardrobe at all times so you have a backup. A sparkly little black dress, fun lace top, statement shoes, or a pleated skirt are all items you can play around with and create fun and festive holiday outfits with.
We did this very impromptu photoshoot at my house just for fun just to show that if you have the right items in your wardrobe you can put together a holiday outfit last minute. I love lace and the combination of this lace blouse, black pants, and a pair of statement shoes is a great look if you are struggling with what to wear. You could also do a brighter lip and add some jewelry for a little more sparkle.
Below are some things to consider when dressing up for a holiday party.
Style Tips For The Holidays
1. Consider the type of event and where it's being held at. Start your planning process by answering these questions first. If it's an office party stick with an outfit that is appropriate-so no short skirts and limit the flashy attire. If it's at someone's house ask the host what the dress code is. Usually these type of parties call for a more dressy casual look. And if it's a gala or more formal holiday party be sure to dress up for the occasion with a fancier cocktail dress or gown. You can show some skin but make sure you do it in a classy way. Lastly if the party is at a bar or restaurant go for something more chic and trendy.
2. Add some fun and sparkly jewelry to your outfit. The holiday season is a great time to pull out those pieces of jewelry you may not be regularly wearing. And it's the perfect time of year to elevate and dress up your style.
3. Try a bold beauty look. The holidays are a great time to try a bold pink lip, smoky eyes , or just a make up look that is fun and new to you. Experiment and have fun with your makeup.
4. Experiment with textures and layers. When it comes to your outfit take some risks and be playful and festive. Try velvet, lace, suede or other fun winter textures and consider prints and patterns to add some interest to your holiday looks.
5. Introduce some color into your outfit to reflect the festive season. If you're like me and like to wear neutrals and black a lot use this holiday season to change up your style and reach for a bright blouse or dress. Step out of your comfort zone and change up your style.
6. When in doubt shop your closet. Pair up black pants like I have done here with a lace or sequin blouse or something festive in your wardrobe. As long as you wear your outfit with confidence and a smile you will look and feel great! And by the way these leggings I am wearing are AMAZING and I am planning on buying them in the wine color too. They are flattering, soft, and wash really well. I have literally been living in them this week.