7 Tips for Buying A Luxury Handbag
It's no secret I have a huge love for luxury designer handbags and I have done several posts, articles, and TV segments on this topic. (here, here, and here ) I definitely gravitate towards bags that are classic and timeless and I am in the process right now of adding a new bag to my collection. In the past I have bought bags without really doing the proper research and I have made some mistakes along the way. So now I try and take more time before making such a huge purchase and I try and follow these 7 tips when buying a luxury handbag.
Also several people recently have asked me which bag I would recommend right now. I think this is always such a tough and personal question because it depends on what type of bag you want, your budget, what bags you already have in your closet. I went ahead and included some of my favorite designer bags and you can shop them below.
7 Tips For Buying A Luxury Handbag
1. Do your research. Start your search for a luxury handbag with some online research. I like to hop on You Tube and watch reviews of the bags I am looking at. I also like to go on Instagram and do a hash tag search to see how other people are wearing and styling bags. Lastly, blogs like The Purse Blog and Purse Forum are super helpful for reviews on designer handbags.
2. Color match with your wardrobe. Choose a color that works with your current wardrobe. I like to visualize a few outfits and make sure the bag matches with items in my wardrobe. I recommend not spending a lot of money on designer bags that not neutral or colors you don't wear a lot. You will just end up getting tired of that color or you will find it isn't versatile enough for you and it will end up just sitting on your shelf.
3. Evaluate your current bag collection and lifestyle. Luxury bags are expensive and you don't want to buy a new bag that is too similar in style or color to a bag already in your collection. Also it's good to take inventory of the bags you have and assess what type of bag is missing and where are the gaps are. For example you may want to ask yourself Do I need a cross body or a mini bag? Do I need a large tote to carry items from day to night? Evaluating your lifestyle and how you will use the bag is really important in determining the best type of bag to purchase.
4. Price research. Shop around and look at pre owned market. I find that most of the time you don't save a lot and it's best to just get it from the store. But sometimes you get lucky and the bag you are looking for is available pre-owned and it's a great price.
5. Try it on. This one is so important. If you are able to I recommend going to the store and trying on the bag. Be sure to check out the length of the straps and see how you like the size of the bag. Also make sure you can easily take things in and out of the bag and that all your necessary items fit in the bag. Take your time and really make sure you love the bag.
6. Wait. Don't impulse buy but instead take a little time to think it over and make sure it's something you really want to add. I usually go home and think it over for a couple of days. I have made a couple of impulse purchases in the past and have regretted those purchases. Now I take my time and make 100% sure the bag is the right one for me.
7. Buy the bag and enjoy! Buying the bag is the fun part. But remember to inspect the item for quality with stitching, handles, hardware etc. Make sure you're happy with the bag before you purchase it. Once you purchase your bag enjoy it and use it. I can't tell you how many of my clients don't use their bags. Handbags are meant to be used as much as possible. To help retain the shape stuff your handbags with tissue, dust bags, or old clothes. Lastly display your bags on open shelves if you can. If you see your bags you are more likely to use them daily.
Shop some of my favorite luxury designer handbags below